Sunday, March 12, 2017

Power of Networking, the Weekend and the Library



The fruits of networking might have worked out.  An acquaintance needs 5-10 hours of assistance now and up to 20 hours of assistance in a few weeks due to a co-worker’s maternity leave.  We will discuss this opportunity early next week. While not full time, the hours would be very beneficial to me during the job search. Another acquaintance directed me to a lawyer who needed 50 hours of work on a project (he found someone already before I reached out to him). Yet another acquaintance was looking for a part-time recruiter to work remotely under him. These opportunities all were “discovered” because I reached out to others about my situation. Again, this drives home the importance of networking. I expect to find my next position not through the online applications but through networking. So, keep on doing it.

The weekend was spent relaxing. I encourage you to treat your weekend as well, a weekend. This will further encourage your adoption of the job search as a job approach. I got lots of sleep. Provided I go to sleep early enough tonight, I’ll be fresh for resuming my search tomorrow.

My little sister, Kira, my brother-in-law Jack and nephew JJ came in from the city and treated us to a fine meal of Popeye’s chicken. Their kindness in this difficult time has been awesome. In addition to the feast, we talked about the Disney Parks, played some Mario Kart and listened to some good music together. It was a great distraction from the present difficult situation.

On Sunday, I went to the public library for the first time in years. I realized what a valuable place it is. First, they have free Wifi and computers for your use. If you want to save on your data usage or if you need to cut your internet service (my heart goes out to you if this is the case; hang in there!), you can use the library for your job search. Second, they have a wealth of resources for the same. I couldn’t fully count the number of job search books they had. Further, you have access to other numerous reading materials to increase your skill set/value for your next job. Third, aside from the search, they have tons of movies that you can checkout- for free. That said, if you need free entertainment for the weekend, check out a movie to watch with the family. Finally, the library is a quiet place for you to conduct your search in peace. Head to the library!

Days Eight and Nine Lessons:

1. Relax on the Weekend so You are Fresh on Monday for Your Search

2. The Library is a Great Resource for Your Search

Total Contacts Reached Out To: 31

Total Applications: 27

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Interviews; Search Routine; Back Again

More Interviews My buddy commented that I hadn't updated the blog and told me he was either relieved that I was too busy to blo...